Are TePe products recyclable?
|Interdental Brushes (IDBs)||Polypropylene ISCC Certified||Yes (handle and packaging)||Completely remove wire from IDB handle: recycle handle, dispose of brush in household waste.||No|
|Toothbrushes||Polypropylene||Yes (handle and packaging)||Remove brush head from handle: recycle handle, dispose of brush head in household waste||No|
|TePe GOOD™ Toothbrush||Polyethylene (Plant Based)||Yes (handle and packaging)||Remove brush head from handle: recycle handle, dispose of brush head in household waste||No|
|EasyPick™||Plastic / silicone compound||No (pick). Yes (carry case and packaging)||Dispose of pick in household waste. Recycle carry case and packaging.||Yes|
|TePe GOOD™ Mini Flosser||Polyethylene (Plant Based)||Yes (handle and packaging)||Completely remove floss from handle: recycle handle, dispose of floss in household waste.||No|
Keeping it simple
- Converts waste materials into new useful products.
- We recycle waste plastic from production in our factory.
- The plastic from our IDB and toothbrush handles is recyclable if the head is separated from the handle. They cannot be recycled whole in this country as recycling facilities are unable to cope with combined materials. The packaging is recyclable.
To be described as sustainable, a plastic has to be:
- Environmentally sustainable;
- Economically sustainable;
- Socially sustainable.
We have started our journey using sustainable materials with the launch of TePe GOOD™ Range and sustainable IDB and are committed to launching more products from sustainable materials in future.
- A resource which can be used repeatedly and replaced naturally (eg sugar cane).
- Unlike non-renewable sources, renewables can be recreated / regrown within a relatively short time interval.
What are plant-based plastics?
What kind of plastics are there?
There are conventional plastics or bio-plastics.
- Conventional plastic is fossil-based (crude oil or natural gas) which is a limited resource and not renewable. When it is incinerated, carbon that was bound in the oil or gas is released into the atmosphere.
- Bioplastics are plant-based (sugar cane, castor oil, cellulose) and comprise of a large family of different materials with different properties and applications. They are made from renewable resources.
What is the TePe GOOD™ toothbrush made from?
The handle and filaments are made from plant-based bioplastics. The handle is made from bio-based polyethylene (PE) from sugar cane which has a renewable content of 96%. The filaments are made from plant-based polyamide from castor oil. Both are from 100% renewable resources.
Questions & Answers
Are TePe products biodegradable?
We are working with the leading manufacturers in the world, but there is currently no “off-the-shelf” solution. Hopefully, technology in this area will improve soon.
Are TePe products sustainable?
TePe GOOD is made from sustainable materials, whilst TePe original IDB’s are made from sustainably sourced materials*. We consider all elements of sustainability sourcing to finished product.
What is TePe doing about reducing its packaging and unnecessary use of plastic?
We are certified to ISO 14 001, which is an international standard that requires us to have a process to plan, implement, monitor and continuously improve our environmental impact. We are reviewing our materials usage and our environmental footprint regularly.
What is a carbon footprint?
According to the WHO, a carbon footprint is a measure of the impact your activities have on the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced through the burning of fossil fuels and is expressed as a weight of CO2 emissions produced in tonnes.
What is carbon neutrality?
Carbon neutrality means having a balance between emitting carbon and absorbing carbon from the atmosphere in carbon sinks. Removing carbon oxide from the atmosphere and then storing it is known as carbon sequestration. In order to achieve net zero emissions, all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions will have to be counterbalanced by carbon sequestration.
*via mass balance approach.